Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nerf 'N'erders, The Force is Strong with this One...

Film and Star Wars geeks (I'm included in both those categories) alike have been waiting years in anticipation for the release of Fanboys. It seems like forever since I posted a comment about the script resolution. It opened last week to a limited release, obviously Seattle was one of those places chosen. A reminder if you don't know what the film is about: a group of friends from Ohio plan to break into the Skywalker Ranch to sneak a peak at Episode 1 before the film is released as one of the guys is going to die of cancer. Penned as a "love letter to Star Wars fans," this film feels more like a store bought Valentine - short, you appreciate the thought into it, but gets you wanting a bit more effort. I think the reason for the limited release for the film is the fact that it's not really a very accessible film, just catering to the Star Wars faithful here. If you're not even remotely close to a devoted fan of the "galaxy far, far, away," this film is not for you. It will just seem like a run of the mill adolescent road trip film (never seen these films, but probably like Road Trip or Sex Drive) or a Kevin Smith work - who ironically makes a cameo appearance. I'd have to say, I was disappointed with the lack of character development and interaction with each other. I never really felt the characters had much camaraderie with each other, even with the whole cancer aspect of the film. What makes this film worth watching you say? I must say that this film was enjoyable for me in the end as I'm quite a nostalgic guy and the movie had enough Star Wars in it to bring back all those memories of the late 90's. I remember all the discussion and hype that brought Star Wars back to life since the 80's. Even though JarJar and the gang were disappointing, I still have fond memories of the anticipation. Fanboys brings that back that fervor for Star Wars, even though it didn't do it for me as a film.

There's not many clips of the film worth posting, but here's the full trailer:


Fanboys isn't for everyone, so here's some quick Star Wars geek humor, Natalie Portman's SNL monologue:

No comments: