Sunday, August 10, 2008

AK! My 'Northern Exposure': The Fog

I just arrived into Ketchikan after about a day and a half aboard the M/V Taku. A bit of a smaller and much less modern boat than the M/V Columbia, but I had a much more spacious room than before. Before taking off on Friday, I had a brief walk through downtown Juneau. It's not a very big downtown, quite a modest capital city and capitol building for the largest state (in land area) in the United States. So much of the city is filled with touristy shops. Every other store seemed to sell ulu knives. There are a few smokeries, one being Taku Smokeries. You can go into the store and see the process of preparing smoked salmon. I didn't get to go on the Mount Roberts Tramway, which gives you an aerial view of the city, but I'm not sure if I would have seen anything due to weather.


See my path from Juneau to Ketchikan aboard the Taku via Google Maps

Here are some pics of my last day in a foggy Juneau:




All the fog along the water remembers me of the movie The Fog, the scenery is actually Northern California in the film, but gave me the same aura. Classic John Carpenter cheesiness:

No comments: