Thursday, August 7, 2008

AK! My 'Northern Exposure' : Set an Open Course

Last Friday, I set out on the M/V Columbia towards Juneau, AK for work. The ship is part of the Alaska Marine Highway System, a ferry service traveling along the west coast of Alaska, Canada, and goes as far south as Bellingham, Washington. The system has been named an All-American Road by the Federal Highway Administration. Due to the lack of road access in many places of Alaska, the AMHS may be the only way of transportation besides air. I left from the terminal in Bellingham and it took me about 57 hours total to get up to Alaska's capital. There were stops along the way, including Ketchikan, Wrangell, and Petersburg, AK. As you can see pics of the ship, it's a step up from a regular commuter ferry, definitely not cruise ship class though. I stayed in a cabin (really small, but I had it to myself), but you have the option of either sleeping inside the boat in many of the recliners or outside of the boat. The back of the boat has 2 decks where passengers can pitch their tents during their stay on the boat. There also is a solarium area, where people can sleep in their sleeping bags on beach chairs under a canopy. The sites on the way are nice, and the boat was quiet enough in the car deck that I was able to perform some hearing tests for the engine crew.

Click here to see the route I took via Google Maps

1 comment:

Gary said...

almost looks like Seattle.