Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hollywood Loses One of Its Greats

This news is a little old, but on Sunday Stan Winston passed away at the age of 62. If you've never heard of him, you've almost certainly seen much of his iconic work. He was an Academy Award winning special effects and makeup artist. His work is what has made creatures such as the Terminator, the Predator, the Alien Queen, and the Jurassic Park dinosaurs icons in movie history. Many of these films have definitely played a part in my interest in film and it is sad to hear that the mind behind it all is gone. Like I had stated in a previous post, Jurassic Park is the movie that got me into movies and if those raptors or that t-rex were any less convincing on the screen I'm not sure if I would be as blessed as I am now to see as many movies as I have seen so far in my lifetime (I know, quite a statement and no mention of Star Wars!).Although he is gone, his production companies still live on, check them out at stanwinston.com.


Here's a tribute video provided by movie site JoBlo.com:

No comments: