Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tournament of Motormouthed Champions

After seeing the film Rocket Science (stars the guy who plays West, the flying kid from 'Heroes')last year at SIFF 2007, I was introduced to the world of high school debate. I had no idea that the competitions involved lugging crates of research papers and trying to talk as fast as possible. While in my hotel room last night for work I saw a documentary on HBO about high school debate, Resolved. The documentary follows 2 debate teams from very different socio-economic backgrounds and the one inner-city duo's quest to change the current style of competition, using a lot of jargon and speed reading (or spread). Although I don't agree with the fact that the current state of debate is racist, I'm sure I'd lose a debate with someone who thinks so. Here's an excerpt from NPR featuring the director and one of the debaters.

Here's a clip from the film, hopefully it'll eventually come out on DVD (it is listed on Netflix):


All this fast talking reminds me of this guy:

No comments: